Policy level A
Permanent, regular, full-time position
Deadline: 5:00 p.m. Thursday, June 30, 2022
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the successful candidate for the position of Communications Manager will oversee all internal and external communications, media relations, social media, and online and print publications. The Communications Manager will be part of a dynamic team of policy staff who work collaboratively to provide the services required to fulfill OCUFA’s mandate, provide support to OCUFA’s Member Associations, and assist in advocacy initiatives. related advocacy.
Founded in 1964, OCUFA represents 17,000 university professors and librarians in 30 member associations across Ontario. OCUFA is committed to improving the quality of higher education in Ontario and recognizing the outstanding contributions of its members to creating a world-class university system. For more information, please visit OCUFA’s website at www.ocufa.on.ca.
Areas of responsibility
- Prepare OCUFA communications, press releases, editorials and other materials for the media and OCUFA members;
- Provide communications and social media assistance to OCUFA Member Associations as required;
- Writing, editing, and assisting with the creative development of OCUFA publications (including the OCUFA Report and academic matters), websites, social media properties, and campaigns;
- Develop OCUFA’s communications and social media plans and execute them in collaboration with OCUFA’s policy staff team;
- Manage OCUFA’s media relations (including developing and maintaining journalist relations and media contacts);
- Provide staff support for the OCUFA Executive and Board of Directors, assigned committees, workshops and conferences;
- Draft reports, speeches and letters for the OCUFA President, CEO, executive members and committee representatives;
- Work with the OCUFA policy staff team to write, edit and produce policy documents and OCUFA submissions to the provincial government, opposition parties, stakeholders and other organizations;
- Represent OCUFA at meetings, as required; and
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time to meet the changing needs of OCUFA.
Skills and Requirements
- A high level of communication skills, experience in leading strategic communications and a thorough understanding of advocacy, research and critical policy analysis;
- Excellent writing ability for a variety of formats and channels;
- Ability to synthesize and present complex information in a succinct, clear and accessible manner;
- Excellent presentation style and verbal communication skills;
- Graphic design abilities for creating visual content for publications, web and social media;
- Knowledge of the post-secondary sector would be an asset;
- A passion and/or background in post-secondary education;
- Ability to work on projects individually and collaboratively with other staff independent of supervision;
- Understanding and commitment to OCUFA policies, practices and goals;
- A high level of computer literacy, excellent social media skills on various platforms and experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite, NationBuilder, New/Mode or similar platforms and software would be an asset; and
- At least a graduate degree and five years of experience in media relations, communications and/or policy analysis (or an equivalent combination of education and work experience).
This is a permanent, regular, full-time position, classified at Policy Level A, as defined in the terms and conditions of employment governed by the collective agreement between OCUFA and CUPE Local 1281. The salary range for this position is $87,571.01 to $114,173.33. All benefits are provided in accordance with the collective agreement. All OCUFA staff act under the direction and authority of the Executive Director.
This position is based at the OCUFA office in downtown Toronto, Ontario, with limited remote work opportunities, and is subject to public health guidelines.
OCUFA is a unionized and equal opportunity employer that is committed to the principle of employment equity and welcomes diversity in the workplace.
Please submit your application with your resume and the names of three references to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, June 30, 2022.