Job Title: Baseball Technology Researcher
Type of employment: Full time
FLSA Classification: Exempt
All applicants are encouraged to apply online at the Guardians website for review. Please Click here to apply directly.
The Cleveland Guardians Fellowship Program is designed to accelerate the pace of development and impact for potential applicants. The roles of a Fellow focus on complex challenges, which involve the development of new approaches, tools and techniques to move the organization forward in a meaningful way.
We are looking for fellows to join our baseball technology department. Each Fellow will work full time with one of our Minor League affiliates and report to the departments of Baseball Technology, Player Development and Baseball Operations. This position will be based in a branch and will include travel to away games. Fellows will need to manage the collection of multiple data streams and function as a resource for coaches and players. Fellows will benefit from exposure in multiple departments and will have access to and be encouraged to use a suite of in-house and proprietary resources.
The ideal candidate will be curious, creative, open-minded and enthusiastic about working in a collaborative environment. The candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to present complex topics to a wide range of audiences. They will take the initiative to conduct research in areas of their choice that will advance the Guardians’ player development procedures and philosophies.
Essential tasks and responsibilities
- Use bat / ball tracking technology and other sports science technology.
- Manage the video process before, during and after the game.
- Manage the corresponding data and video collection process and assist with interpretation and distribution.
- Assist the Information Systems team with baseball technology troubleshooting and support.
Support for supervisory staff:
- Coordinate the advanced scouting process with minor league field staff.
- Assist affiliated staff with various administrative tasks (i.e. daily planning, team travel).
- Assist Minor League field staff with pre-game activities.
Baseball Development and Analysis:
- Collaborate with coaching staff, player development and baseball operations to monitor player goals and progress.
- Perform ad hoc research and analysis, both at the request of staff and independently.
- Communicate results and ideas to coaches, players and minor league baseball operations and player development departments.
Terms & Conditions
The Cleveland Guardians are committed to developing and sustaining an environment that embraces all forms of diversity to enrich our core values, enhance our competitive position, strengthen our impact within our community, and foster a greater sense of belonging for our people. employees.
With that in mind, we know that studies have shown that people from historically underserved groups – including women and people of color – are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they have all of the skills. qualifications outlined in a job description. We are more interested in finding the best candidate for the job and understand that the candidate may bring certain skills and experiences to the job that are not listed above, but it would add tremendous value to our organization. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not think you meet each of our described qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated passion for at least one of the following areas: baseball technology, scouting, baseball analysis, sports science, strike or pitch analysis and / or biomechanics, strength and conditioning, motor learning or other baseball related field.
- Organization: Ability to create, maintain and execute a schedule with precision and agility.
- Work ethics: a relentless desire to collect more and better information.
- Passion: Demonstrate a clear passion for the game, teammates, organization and learning.
- Resourceful: Use organizational resources to develop and understand organizational philosophies.
- Strategic Thinking: Adopt a problem-solving mindset and strategic thinking.
- Time Management: Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
While we were looking for a variety of diverse skills for this role, we do know that the former scholars who thrived in this role had certain skills that best match the game of baseball. If you have demonstrated experience in any of the following areas, you may be in a better position to thrive in this role.
- Conversational Spanish or better a plus.
- Experience with video editing software (i.e. Adobe Premier) an asset.
- Experience with SQL and statistical software (ie R, Python, Stata, SAS) an asset.
- Experience in troubleshooting network, computer and other peripheral connectivity issues is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of advanced baseball statistics and publicly available research.
- Reads, speaks, understands and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive way to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with Front Office members.
- Ability to act according to organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and a commitment to equity and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move around all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes weighing up to 25 lbs.
At Baseball Technology, our common goal is to identify and develop diverse front office players and teammates who contribute to our mission. By working together effectively and collaboratively, we create a family atmosphere that fosters learning as we strive for excellence in everything we do. We believe that we will achieve our goals by making evidence-based decisions and creating environments that support our employees and allow them to learn.
The content of this post has been created and provided solely by The Cleveland Guardians.