Reports to: Editor-in-chief, Production editor
Contract terms: Part-time from September 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Scheduled hours: About. 5 hours per week
* note: these hours may vary from week to week
Salary: $ 400 / month
The webmaster will be responsible for updating and maintaining the back-end of The Gateway’s website and mailing list as needed. The Webmaster will also be responsible for the maintenance of the technical equipment of The Gateway (including, but not limited to, servers, computers and printers). The webmaster must operate at all times in accordance with the rules of the Gateway Student Journalism Society.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide on-site technical support with updating editorial computer software, updating and cleaning servers, cleaning drop box and volunteer computers as required.
- Perform editorial IT maintenance, printer maintenance, and server maintenance as required. Communicate with the Executive Director on replacement of old technology, as required.
- Liaise with U of A Student Union external technical staff to ensure the continued operation and quality of The Gateway’s hardware, software and networks.
- Develop new features for The Gateway website, at the request of the EIC and the production editor; work on long-term technical projects according to the needs of the Business Unit or the Editor-in-Chief.
- Work in conjunction with the Production Editor to produce specialized web pages including pages for The Getaway and the Purity Test.
- Ensure the creation of an annual survey of online Gateway readers.
- Continuously monitor all media content and maintain a strict level of quality control.
- Perform other work-related duties as required by the editor and the production editor.
- Must have excellent computer skills including web programming and computer maintenance.
- Must be available to work multiple hours and ready to work on call.
- Must be able to deal effectively with company and university staff, students and the general public.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to editor Mitchell Pawluk at [emailÂ protected] Applications must be sent on August 30, 2021 at 10 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled on an ongoing basis, so don’t delay in submitting your application. Applicants must present a five-minute platform pitch that they would implement if hired by The Gateway. It will be followed by a 30-minute interview.